Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"This will hurt me more than it hurts you"

Did any of your parents ever say that to you? I have always thought it was bogus until...

Anaiah had her 2-month check-up Monday, November 5. She is a strong and healthy baby. Andrew and I really liked her pediatrician...she is very nice, gentle and informative. Andrew and I quizzed the Doc with tons of questions and had a good visit. Then the dreaded time came...the doctor left the room and in came the nurse with the needles.

As I left the room, I felt a large lump form in my throat and my heart began to beat quickly. I was so scared for my little girl to get the shock of her life not once, but 3 times! Andrew stayed in the room with the nurse and Anaiah.

When I opened the door a few minutes later, I walk in to see big crocodile tears streaming from my daughters red, wet eyes. Her naked body is wrapped in a cozy, fleece blanket and she is shaking in her daddy's arms.

That about did me in!!!

I, then, proceeded to cry and had the need to hold her and comfort her and tell her that she would be okay. She nursed and within minutes her eyes were not so red, the tears began to trickle instead of flow, she gave a big burp and then a subtle smile. And I knew that she would be alright (but it didn't stop me from crying for a while longer).

Anaiah was fine...she got in her car seat, fell asleep, and was as happy as a clam when she woke up. I, on the other hand, needed to call both the grandmas, share the story of the day, and have some time to debrief.

It is still hard for me to think about...she looked so sad and helpless.

Does this ever get any easier??







7 comments:

Kristi said...

oh my goodness. This post made me cry. Sorry you both had to go through that - but it is good Anaiah got her shots. Sorry I can't answer you last question.

MelindaBrummett said...

I hate to tell you this but in this case the answer is no. I cry every time one of my kids has to get a shot. I now just wait until they are not around me. As a parent we often watch our children experience pain of some kind and it kills us. At least it does me.

Kristi said...

Sorry, hon - it's true. It is always hard for me to hold my kids while they get their shots (what kind of sicko asks a mom to hold their child down to inflict torture!). I think it is harder when they are little, though, partly because of my unstable hormones and exhausted state!

Nursing right after is the best medicine, it seems. Another piece of unsolicited advice - ask for two nurses to give the shots at the same time in each leg. The brain can't process pain coming from two different locations on each side of the body, so it feels like one shot to the baby (so I read). And that way it is over more quickly.

brenda said...

I know it is hard, but on the bright side, you won't have to do it for a while, especially once you move! I hope you are still sleeping well.

Priscilla said...

Yeah, shots are horrible, especially when they are still so small and innocent. Liam had a little bit of jaundice at birth, so when he was one week old, they had to do a PKU test...that was torture, because it was like 2 full minutes of collecting drops of blood out of his foot. I cried and cried and so did he.

Cheryl said...

The first time Kinley had a medical procedure (she was a newborn), Jeff and I were both undone. It was horrible. But she has absolutely no memory of it now.

After we moved to Africa and I
actually saw some of the effects of the diseases that we give our babies shots for, the shot process became a little easier for me. You are preventing major suffering by a moment of pain.
Sorry it was so tough though...seeing your kids hurt (in any way) is awful.

Leah said...

It seems that the moms are in agreement: watching (or hearing) your sweet baby get shots is not easy. And there will be other things in their little lives that will not really get easier, just different. You will soon be able to help her cope with shots with less of your own tears. And when discipline comes along it will certainly not get easier, again, just different. You will see the benefits of preventing awful diseases and teaching her to listen to you and obey your words. These things keep her safe. And you are just the mommy God provided to her for that. It helps that she is also blessed with a good man for a dad.

God bless you, friend.