Saturday, March 04, 2006

Stockin' Up

At the beginning of every month, my husband and I take a trip to WinCo to do our BIG grocery shopping trip for the month. He is always so excited to get groceries at this time, because money has usually run really low and we have canned food and spaghetti in our house--and that's it. No cereal, bread, milk, (you get the picture.)I love taking my list (I love lists!) and crossing off items as we put them in the cart. I love putting everything in it's place when we get home and feel a sense of comfort from the huge stock of food that we have in our house.
I know that when we live in Uganda, we'll do our major shopping every 6-8 weeks, when we make the trip to Kampala. I'm looking forward to this because it reminds me of how we did things when I was little. We lived in the country and even though "town" was not that far away, we really didn't go to Boise for much. So, all 3 of us kids would hop in the car with mom and sometimes Grandma for the big shopping day in Boise. We would go to COSTCO, ride on the big orange flats and "help" mom load up what we needed and a few extra's too! We would help unload when we got home and store most everything in our basement with tons of shelves and a huge deep freeze.
I find comfort in stocking up...if I had more room in my house, I'd buy everything in bulk!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

As I stuff the Costco bags of frozen corn, blueberries & chicken into my freezer, I fantasize about getting a deep freeze for our basement. But then I come back to earth and realize it will just mean a bigger container in which to lose freezer-burned meat.

Cheryl said...

We are currently in the "de-stock" mode. We have to clear the pantry of food that will go bad while we are away for four months. So the menu for the next few months includes: spaghetti, canned corn, tomato paste, and about 7 containers of frozen pumpkin. YUM! :-)

emilykaypeters said...

I wish we had a Costco or Sams that was close. Since we do a huge amount of shopping this would make me faster. I have been praying for you and Andrew and the family expanding. Keep us updated

Kristi said...

I'm glad you enjoy the trip to Winco and stocking up! I despise going to the grocery store, and wait until I have no bread, milk, and well just about everything eatable.

Paula said...

We LOVE Winco, and we've got converts! We've convinced my mom, my aunt, and my sister to start shopping there, and they all live at least 40 minutes away from it. Lucky for us, it's only about 15 minutes from our house, and it's nicer than the one I used to go to in Portland. We love the bulk foods section! I just can't believe how much cheaper everything is at Winco than everywhere else!

Steve Maxwell said...

I so wish we had a deep freeze. May be after we move. Of course we will be very close to all the major food stores so that won't be a problem. But I know what you mean about special trips. We made them right before school started in the fall for new school clothes.
God bless you guys and keep us infomed about Africa.