Sunday, November 09, 2008

Thankful for Prayer

As I grieve for my many friends that are experiencing difficulty at this time in their life, I am so thankful for the avenue of prayer.

I am thankful that I have a God who hears me, takes on the burdens that I feel, intercedes on behalf of friends and family, and wants me to take my troubles to Him on a daily basis.

It's too much for me to process right now...our friends whose little one has leukemia, Cascade College closing down, a fellow "Bristol Babe"-pregnant and on bed rest-trying to keep the little one inside, and friends leaving a Ugandan ministry due to corruption and sin within the program.

When I opened my e-mail the night before we were leaving for Kampala, all of these things hit me at once and I felt a heaviness come over me. I couldn't respond to anything, because I didn't have words to say. I felt as if a truck had hit me square in the face and I was down for the count.

That night, I simply closed my laptop and prayed.

I prayed for comfort and healing of sweet Caitlin, for her parents and siblings, I prayed for staff, administration, students, alumni, and the board of Cascade College as they make transitions in their lives with the devastating news of their college closing down, I prayed for my friend Kelly & her baby Rilyn--that God would protect both of them, keep Rilyn strong, healthy, and in Kelly's womb until the time is right. I also prayed for Chris & Kami and the situation with the Children's Home in Kampala; that God would take sin away, protect the children, and give Chris & Kami wisdom as to which steps to take next.

As I fell asleep that night, I was sad, depressed, and confused, yet at the same time, hopeful. Hopeful, because I believe in a God that hears the prayers of His people and is faithful in caring for His flock. Hopeful, because I know that I can't fix it, but HE CAN. Hopeful, because when Satan attacks, GOD remains more powerful!

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of prayer. Thank you for comforting, healing, protecting, guarding, and guiding loved ones that are dealing with intense trials at this time. Thank you for your faithfulness to love us, hear us, and watch over us. In Jesus Powerful Name, Amen.

5 comments:

Dawnette said...

Thanks for reminding of us of His power and of the Hope we have. We pray for you and your family often.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, Aimee. Reading your thoughts this morning was a blessing to me. Many prayers and blessings your way, as well.

mamajoy said...

My dear Aimee, You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday and I am so thankful we have God to listen to us. It is such a heavy heart to carry alone but God is helping us along the way. Love, Mom Joy

brenda said...

I know it is difficult to be away from friends when they are going through such trying times. I am with you, it kind of makes me feel like I am doing something for them by praying. Even though I wish I could be a shoulder to cry on, I am doing something more powerful this way. By the way, we pray that your baby stays in there as long as possible (but not too long) as well!

Glenn said...

As I read your comments, I was struck by how universal the grieving process can be, especially since you are grieving on your side of the world about the same things that we are dealing with here on the Portland side. I have no idea how people without God can get through such things - I guess that is why there is so much anger and hate in the world. We are so blessed to be able to turn to a Father who loves and comforts, working EVERYTHING out, even when we are in dispare.