Saturday, January 12, 2008

To the Market We will Go

It was hot, dusty, and tiring.

Lots of walking, people staring, vendors greeting...bartering, laughing, chattering...hunting, searching and wading through piles for just the right thing.

There was no air-conditioning, no dressing rooms, no price tags.

Shopping at the market is definitely a different experience than I am used to.

It was an event that brought me to exhaustion.

On top of that, I didn't even find what I was looking for.

But, it wasn't a total loss...

There were a lot of shoes there, which made me think of my mom.

Many Old Navy & GAP tags, which have my sister and Hayley written all over them.

Children's Place clothing that made me picture Elias & Evie.

I loved being reminded of some of my favorite people.

And when I go again, I'll see if I can find something that reminds me of you (and maybe have some luck in finding what I'm looking for)!

9 comments:

Kristi said...

It's good to hear of your day, Aimee Jo! How does Anaiah like the market? I bet she draws a lot of attention. Love you guys!

Amanda Rae said...

what were you looking for? it sounds like such a different experience, do you have to barter for everything? how was the driving this time? i am thinking of you guys. i love you all!

brenda said...

Ah yes, it is an experience shopping over there! I agree with Kristi, did Aniah get somw free wares while you were out?

Glenn said...

The market is a truly great experience- clothing spread out on the ground in piles, little stands, voices, smells, sights, mixed with a twinge of apprehension the first few times. Realizing that you are the oddity at which everybody is staring.

Ryan said...

Cool maybe you can find some thing that reminds you of me? What would that be? THis could be a fun Game... Maybe a knife...Or a something cool like a crocdile hat....Hahah

mamajoy said...

I can't even imagine what it was like. Not like our new Target Huh ! That was funny you mentioned Children' Place actually Saturday Rachel and I were just there buying clothes for Evie ( birthday clothes ) spring and summer clothes are already coming out on the shelves. I hope next time you find what you want.
Love, Momma Joy

Chelan said...

I just read everything on your blog and feel so up to date! Even if I don't comment much, I love to read it all--keep it up! And Anaiah is so adorable she makes me want to rub my cheeks against hers until she just can't stand it. kiss her all over her face as much as you can because soon she'll be four years old and too big for that. :)

Maridy Carpenter said...

Aimee, I am so glad I found your blog. I have been trying to keep up with you all through Andrew's blogs that I found back before Anaiah was born, but he just doesn't write enough. I am glad you all are doing well. Anaiah is adorable! God Bless.

Susanne said...

You guys are in my prayers! May God bless you for the work you're doing in Uganda.