Wednesday, August 22, 2007

On Being a Mommy


Moms are special people, and if I do say so myself, I believe that mine is one of the most incredible. My mom is so fantastic at being a mother; I think that it is what God intended for her to do.

As my time of becoming a mom draws closer, I cannot help but reflect on how my mom parented me, and still continues to do so.

When we (my sis, brother, and I) were little, mom took time to spend with us, even though I'm sure she had a billion other things to do.

She read with us, sang with us, took us on walks, rocked us, watched Sesame Street & Mr. Rogers with us, taught us how to share, laughed with us (or at us, most of the time!) and soothed our tears and fears when we were hurt or sad.

As we grew, mom continued to love and nurture us, just in different ways. Looking back, it seems like it was very natural for her to parent at the different stages in our lives. She instilled morals and values in us, taught us how to be good examples to our friends, how to listen first, then speak (which I'll be working on for a LONG time) how to be patient with others, how to be individuals, to be independent, and how to be in relationship with others.

I have found, as I'm sure my sister and brother have too, that as I've matured into an adult, mom has become a friend of mine, who I go to for advice and to share my life with. And although she is now my friend, she is and will always remain my "mommy"--a title that she will never outgrow.

I pray that as God continues to mold and shape me into a mother, that He will grant me patience, endurance, and a gentle spirit in which to parent Anaiah; and if I can be half the mom to her as my mom was/is to me, then I will consider my job well done.

3 comments:

Andrew Martin said...

You are going to be the best mom ever!!! Or maybe a tie for 1st with my mom...

Luke Coles said...

Moms rock the world!

Cheryl said...

You and your Mom are so beautiful! What a great example you have had in your mom and in Andrew's mom. You are going to be great at this!!!