Saturday, January 14, 2006

Missing Person

So, it all started with a phone call from Andrew saying, "TaNitra called and wants your aunt and uncle's phone number." Okay, so I call her and our conversation goes something like this:

T: "Yes I need their number, has Andrew told you what's going on."
Me: "Nope."
T: "Well, your sister (Amanda) was supposed to come to Bible study tonight in Vancouver. She said she was running a little bit late, but now we are finished (it is 9:15) and she never showed up. I have already called Carey (who my sister nannies for) and she said Amanda left at 6:30 (from Wilsonville area). I've tried Amanda's cell phone and there is no answer. So I wanted to call your aunt and uncle to see if she ended up going over there."
Me: Instantly break into tears and reply, like a blubbering idiot, "Okay, call me when you talk to them." (Keep in mind, I am taking a medication that I do blame for some of the emotional roller coaters I have been experiencing lately.)

By this point everyone can hear that I am upset (we were at Rachel & Marshall's house celelbrating our nephew, Elias', birthday. Luckily, most of the crowd was gone at this point.)

TaNitra calls back...no one home. I really start to freak out. I call Allen and Leigh's cell phone. They are at the hospital because one of their kids has an appointment. Nope, they haven't seen Amanda either. My uncle Allen tries to talk to me with logic (maybe she is shopping or went to a friends house, or...), but I am so far gone, I just can't hear it. My sister always checks in with people...she would have said something if she went somewhere else.

My imagination was going out of control and my knees felt weak.

Andrew goes into solution mode and starts calling everyone. I felt sick to my stomach and really exhausted. How could this be happening??

Andrew calls the Portland Police, who refer us to Emmanuel Hospital, who refer us to some other number to check on accidents, who refer--oh wait, incoming call from Carey. She's upset and just wants to make sure that we know what's happening. Andrew calls some more and I write down numbers as he calls them out. I'm too tired-finally I just go relax on the couch.

After about 30 minutes (about 10:15 pm) Amanda calls from Dave & Carey's house. She was back safely at her place of residence, and by this time understands what's going on because Carey is a mess (as were the rest of us). I was sooooo happy to hear her voice. After I yelled at her, "YOU REALLY FREAKED ME OUT," I told her how much I was glad that she was safe and what in the world was going on?

Come to find out, Amanda did leave at 6:30 pm from Dave and Carey's. She decided to call our brother, Drew, and chat on her way up to Vancouver. Well, after the call, her cell phone died, so she had no way of contacting people AND she decided to swing by TARGET before going to Bible study to pick up a few things. Consequently, she ends up staying at TARGET longer than expected and then needs to go straight back to Dave and Carey's to help with the babies. Carey was red-eyed and explained everything to Manda when she arrived back at the house.

OH MY GOODNESS!! What an adventure. It does seem silly now that I was so extremely worried at the time. I am very thankful that Amanda is okay and it's nice to know she has a gang of people that care about her enough to worry like that.

I love you, my sister!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Bless you! I hate moments like that...but I am SO thankful everything was really all right. I am praying for you and all those precious(!) and blasted(!) hormones shooting through your body. God be with you, friend.

Steve Maxwell said...

AJ! I gotta tell ya that I can totally relate to your reaction. I am very glad that things turned out to be fine, but know that your reaction screams out - "I LOVE MY SISTER". So take it in stride and use it as an opportunity practice remembering - God has it all under control.

Tim said...

Speaking of missing persons...did Andrew forget how to use a computer and BLOG?

Jen said...

That was a great story. I noticed that you recieved more comments, though, when you didn't know what to write about than you did with a good story. Maybe you should always write about not knowing what to write about!